Avoid having your Cannabis License Revoked or Suspended for Failure to submit Standard Operating Procedures that Comply with Cannabis Regulations.
A standard operating procedure or SOP is a set of step-by-step instructions required by the cannabis regulations to help cannabis businesses carry out complex routine operations.
Standard operating procedures aim to achieve efficiency, quality output and uniformity of performance, while reducing miscommunication and failure to comply with cannabis regulations.
A recent California law authorizes the issuing licensing authority, Bureau Cannabis Control (All licenses except for Cultivation and Manufacturing) Department of Food & Agriculture (Cultivation) and Department of Health (Manufacturing) in its sole discretion, to revoke or suspend a provisional license if the licensing authority determines the licensee failed to actively and diligently pursue requirements for an annual license.
When you apply for a cannabis business license, the application is going to ask you to detail and upload the required Standard Operating Procedures for the type of cannabis license you want to have.
The law would require a licensing authority to cancel a provisional license upon issuance of an annual license, denial of an annual license, abandonment of an application for a license, or withdrawal of an application.
What to Do?
Contact our office to provide your business name and type of cannabis license being applied for. Our office will then prepare the required Standard Operating Procedures personalized to your specific operations. – Except for testing laboratories, which need to be prepared by a laboratory professional.
Your custom Standard Operating Procedure will have fillable form field where your proprietary information can be entered as needed and be in a secured ,pdf format protected by a password that is registered to you to protect your proprietary information.
Your secured Standard Operating Procedure can be used conveniently on your tablet, mobile device or laptop.
Click on this link https://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/ to Download free Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software for your Windows, Mac OS and Android devices to view, print, and comment on PDF documents.
Standard Operating Procedures are a major factor in your license application being approved and the key to making sure your cannabis business is operating correctly.
Example SOPS for Yo to Upload and View for Free
Below you will find a list of Standard Operating Procedures for each license type, including the required BCC Form and an Example SOP (Table of Contents and Introduction).
Just Click on the link to see of how your custom Standard Operating Procedure will look like.
Please Note: the required BCC Forms are intended to be used as a guide to address specific questions. Certain questions can be answer in the space provided.
However, other questions can NOT be answer in the space provided and must be provided for in a Standard Operating Procedure maintained on the premises at all times and shall made the documents available to the Department upon request.
It is essential to the survival of your cannabis business to have, in addition to the forms, Standard Operating Procedures to ensure your cannabis business has step-by-step instructions to help carry out complex, daily operations and to ensure compliance during routine agency audits.
Award Winning Legal Services
Personal Attention – Quality – Affordable
Award 2020 Wolfgang Kovach, Esq., Medicinal & Adult Use Cannabis, Business, selected for the 2020 Edition of California Top Attorneys 2020© Award 2018 Wolfgang Kovach, Esq., Medicinal & Adult Use Cannabis, Business, selected for the 2019 Edition of Best 2018 Laguna Niguel©
Bureau Cannabis Control (BCC)
Required Standard Operating Procedures – Non-Storefront Retailer Type 9 and Storefront Retailer Type 10
(A) Transportation Procedures, (Click Transportation Procedures Form to view Form and Click Example Transportation Procedures SOP – to view Example – Under Revision.
(B) Inventory Procedures, , (Click Inventory Procedures to view Form and Click Example Transportation Procedures SOP – to view Example – Under Revision.
(D) Security Procedures, (Click Security Procedures Form to view Form and Click Example Transportation Procedures SOP to view Example – Under Revision.
(E) Delivery Procedures, including 3 Employee Training Manuals (ETM) (Click Delivery Procedures Form to view Form, Click Example Delivery SOP to view Example, Click Example 01 ETM – Sales & Excise Tax Computation to view Example – Click Example ETM – Driver and Vehicle Safety and Click Example Employee Delivery Procs to view Example.
Dept Public Health (DPH) – Cannabis Manufacturing Licensing
Required Standard Operating Procedures – Manufacturing – Type 6 Non-Volatile & Type 7 Volatile
(A) Inventory Control Procedures, (Click Example Inventory Control – to view Example.
(B) Quality Control Procedures, (Click Example Quality Control SOP – to view Example – Under Revision.
(C) Transportation Procedures, (Click Example Transportation SOP – to view Example – Under Revision.
(D) Security Procedures, (Click Example Security Procedures SOP – to view Example – Under Revision.
(E) Cannabis Waste Management Procedures, (Click Example Waste Management. – to view Example.
Dept Food & Agriculture (DFA) – Cultivation – Nursery – Processor Licensing –
Required Standard Operating Procedures – Cultivation Plan for Specialty Cottage, Specialty, Small, and Medium licenses.
(1) A detailed Premises Diagram
(2) Lighting Diagram (For indoor and mixed-light license type applications)
(3) A Pest Management Plan – Click Example Pest Management Plan – to view Example.
(4) A Cannabis Waste Management Plan – Click Example Cannabis Waste Management – to view Example.
Nursery – Cultivation Plan for Nursery Licenses
(1) A Detailed Premises Diagram
(2) A Pest Management Plan – Click Example Nursery Pest Management Plan – to view Example.
(3) A Cannabis Waste Management Plan – Click Example Nursery Cannabis Waste Management – to view Example.
Processor – Cultivation Plan for Processor Licenses
(1) A detailed premises diagram
(2) A Cannabis Waste Management plan (Click Example Processor Cannabis Waste Management – to view Example.
The Bureau is responsible for licensing retailers, distributors, testing laboratories, microbusinesses, and temporary cannabis events.
All license applications shall include a detailed description of the applicant’s operating procedures.
For applicants applying for a microbusiness license, the application shall include a
detailed description of the applicant’s operating procedures required by this section for each cannabis activity the applicant intends to engage in: (A) Transportation Procedures (Includes 3 Employee Training Manuals – Cannabis Tax, Driver Safety & Delivery Procedures)
(B) Inventory Procedures
(C) Non-Laboratory Quality Control Procedures
(D) Security Procedures
(E) Delivery Procedures
The Bureau of Cannabis Control (Bureau) is the lead agency in regulating commercial cannabis licenses for medical and adult-use cannabis in California.
For more information, click on the below link to view current regulations.
Cannabis Regulations (Currently in Effect) – January 2019
- Bureau of Cannabis Control – Text of Regulations (Order of Adoption)
- Final Statement of Reasons and Addendum
CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing, a division of the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA), ensures public safety and environmental protection by licensing and regulating commercial cannabis cultivators in California.
CalCannabis also manages the state’s track-and-trace system, which tracks all commercial cannabis and cannabis products—from cultivation to sale.
CalCannabis is organized into two branches: Licensing Branch and Compliance and Enforcement Branch.
For indoor and mixed-light license type applications, a lighting diagram with the following information shall be included:
(A) Location of all lights in the canopy area(s); and
(B) Maximum wattage, or wattage equivalent, of each light.
Pest management Plan
Cannabis Waste Management Plan
The applicant shall submit all of the following information regarding the manufacturing premises and operation:
(i) A premises diagram as specified in Section 40105;
(1) A description of inventory control procedures sufficient to demonstrate how the applicant will comply with the requirements of Section 40282, or a copy of the standard operating procedure addressing inventory control;
(2) A description of quality control procedures sufficient to demonstrate how the applicant will comply with all of the applicable requirements specified in Sections 40235-40258 or a copy of the standard operating procedure addressing quality control;
(3) A description of the transportation process describing how cannabis or cannabis products will be transported into and out of the premises, or a copy of the standard operating procedure addressing transportation;
(4) A description of security procedures sufficient to demonstrate how the applicant will comply with the requirements of Section 40200, or a copy of the standard operating procedure addressing security procedures;
(5) A description of the cannabis waste management procedures sufficient to demonstrate how the applicant will comply with the requirements of Section 40290, or a copy of the standard operating procedure addressing cannabis waste management.